Guidelines for creating an Anganwadi
Conformity to MNREGS processes in planning and execution
- Functionaries of ICDS will participate in the IPPE exercise being undertaken to identify works with the community participation.
- Village wise and year wise list of AWCs proposed for construction under ICDS phased programme will be put up in the Gram Sabha for approval and inclusion in shelf of projects.
- All AWCs proposed for construction under MGNREGS shall be part of the District plan, approved by the Gram Sabha and the Gram Panchayat and shall also be a part of the annual shelf of projects.
- MoWCD would facilitate that wherever Panchayats have their own land, they would make it available for the purpose of construction of AWCs preferably near primary schools in the respective villages.
- An electronic estimate module shall be made available under NREGASoft, formulated with standard estimate, design and specifications.
- After approval of the Gram Sabha and the Gram panchayat, the concerned Technical Assistant/ Junior Engineer of the Panchayat/ Line department will prepare e-estimate for the AWC works using the estimate module following the prevailing SOR for MGNREGA works in the area.
- The Technical Sanction will be issued by the concerned authority electronically as per norms/ power delegated for MGNREGA works.
- After the TS issued, AS/FS will be issued by the concerned as per norms/ power delegated for MGNREGA works.
- The Project Implementing Agency (PIA) for the construction of the AWC would be decided by the State Govemment.
- On receipt of a request from the GP, the PO will issue muster rolls.
- Every AWC will be treated as an independent work with work I.D. No. and muster roll issued accordingly.
- A mate may be deployed for every AWC proposed to be taken up in a Gram Panchayat at one time. The designated mate will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain muster for all the AWCs in the GP/Village/locality assigned to him.
- Record attendance for skilled and unskilled labour.
- Ensure that the construction is as per the design/drawing specified in the TS and will certify to that effect.
- The mate will sign the muster roll for attendance and hand it over to the Junior Engineer/Technical Assistant for further processing.
- The PIA would be responsible for supply of the material in advance and as per requirement at the site, so that work can be taken up continuously, without a break.
- The building material required for the building can be produced on the site as a part of the estimate. It shall be ensured that building material shall be ecofriendly minimizing the use of cement and steel.
- The TA/JE shall record the MB for all such units. The measurement of the work will be made weekly by the concerned TA/ JE as per the norms under MGNREGA. The entries of measurement with assessment of work will be entered in measurement book as well in the muster roll.
- The completion period of each AWC building shall not be more than 11 months from the date of commencement of the work.
Mode of expenditure
- The construction of AWC building will be taken up under MGNREGS using appropriate building technologies, through muster rolls as per MGNREGA process
- Under MGNREGA expenditure up to Rs. 5 lakhs will be allowed for construction of an AWC building. Beyond this, the expenditure will be borne from the ICDS scheme of the MWCD, including finishing of the building consisting of flooring, painting, plumbing, electrification and wood work etc., as a separate work. For this purpose, concerned authorities at District/ Block level shall release the funds, to the PIA concerned. Apart from this, funds from State Finance Commission, Scheduled Castes Sub plan (SCSP), Tribal Sub Plan (TSP), l4th Finance Commission (for water supply & sanitation) or any other suitable scheme may be used for the construction of a AWC building.
- The Ministry of Panchayat Raj would facilitate to provide drinking water facilities and sanitation structures at the AWC wherever the gaps regarding these facilities exist.
Use of eco-friendly designs and materials
The buildings taken up under this project shall be model buildings using eco-friendly materials that conform to the following
- The appropriate technologies for the AWC buildings shall, be in accordance with the local building traditions, while keeping in view the durability
- The use of cement, sand and steel in construction shall be substantially reduced through:
- Use of local material, local practices for stub foundations or arch foundations or under reamed piles, with suitable design and specifications to address the needs of the relevant seismic zone.
- Avoiding the use of concrete columns and beams wherever the span of construction is less than 6 meters in a single-storied structure (or 4 meters in case of more than 2 floors) by using alternate technologies, wherever the soils permit.
- Use of rat-trap bond in all walling work using bricks or blocks 250 mm X 120 mm X 85 mm or equivalent sizes as locally adopted.
- Avoiding cement plastering to the extent possible on both sides of the wall.
- Use of filler slabs using tiles or local material to.reduce the concrete.
- Avoiding RCC sunshades (chajjas) and replacing with stone / ferro cement or suitable materials Iocally available.
- Replace windows with honeycomb structures wherever local climate permits.
- Use of local material like stone etc. for door and window frame and the minimise the use of wood
- Use of local material for flooring like local stone and bricks etc.
- Use of appropriate mud-based technology
- Suitable building materials shall be selected for each building (indicative list below) and produced at the site of construction (using MGNREGA workers) such that the labour component in the building shall be maximised
- Mud blocks
- Stone and renewable wood (e.g. casuarina)
- Compressed and stabilized earth blocks (after due treatment and curing)
- Bamboo material
- Fal-G bricks using the flv ash
- Filler blocks
- Micro concrete roofing
- Funicular roofing, etc.
Monitoring and Report
Progress of construction of AWCs under MGNREGS shall be the responsibility of the District Programme coordinator (DPC) and the agency implementing ICDS Scheme as mentioned in the respective guidelines. The construction of all AWCs under MGNREGS will be subject to social audit as per MGNREGA and ICDS regulation/guidelines.